Participants need to be double vaccinated to participate in all BCBR events including the Gravel Explorer.
This plan is based on British Columbia’s (BC) current Provincial Health Orders (PHO). These are being monitored and will be updated with any changes.
Crew are the frontline workers in events; they are in contact with customers, suppliers, and each other regularly. This information provides guidelines in accordance with the BC Centre for Disease Control (CDC) Guidelines that we will be adhering to in addition to our general Health & Safety measures to ensure the wellbeing of our crew and attendees, as we resume event operations during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. These health measures are essential to the success of all event operations.
We require that anyone who is a part of the BC Bike Race to follow these general guiding principles:
- Be Kind
- Stay Calm
- Be Safe
- Complete the Daily COVID-19 Self Assessment each morning before you arrive at the start line
- Wear a mask when physical distancing is not possible
- Stay 2m apart when not engaged in sport
- Follow “one way” arrows when there is a queue
- Practice hand hygiene and avoid touching your face
- Stay outside
- If you must go inside: limit your time indoors, follow capacity limit signs, wear a mask and stay 2m apart
Personal Protective Equipment & Physical Distancing
- Wear a mask when physical distancing is not possible, in accordance with the BC CDC guidelines.
- In situations where physical distancing is not possible or feasible, Racers must wear a mask. Areas that this may include are, when at the start, finish and aid stations.
- All participants will be reminded regularly to maintain 2m physical distancing, wear a mask when physical distancing is not possible, sanitize and wash hands.
Screening (Racers & Crew)
- All participants, crew and volunteers are asked to Complete the Daily COVID-19 Self Assessment each morning before you arrive at the race.
- Crew and participants who are required to self isolate will be excluded from the event and are required to follow all Provincial Health Orders.
Specific Event Modifications
- All racers are to be fully vaccinated to be able to participate in the race.
- Any mandatory pre-race meeting will modified to adhere to the PHO guidelines.
- The race has not historically been a spectator’s sport and will not add any seating or space for spectators and take steps to actively dissuade spectating.
- Access to the event (start/finish zones) will be controlled and only those that have had their proof of vaccination confirmed will be allowed into the controlled areas.
- The start line options will be a flow through race and more details will be sent to participants closer to the event with details based on planning around the most current PHO guidelines.
- Start time positions and times will be pre-assigned and announced via email/online.
- Masks must be worn during staging at the start line.
- Wear a mask when physical distancing is not possible.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided and required when entering and exiting area.
- Aid station items will be a selection of pre-packaged items or safely prepared portions. No self-serve options will be available.
- Pathways will be marked to indicate one-way travel though the station.
- Signage will be placed to indicate 2m distancing in the queue.
- All Racers must adhere to physical distancing rules.
- Racers and Course team members are required to sanitize their hands prior to assistance and are required to wear a mask while interacting & assisting.
- Course team members are to maintain physical distancing requirements when possible while on and off mode of transportation.
- Course team members will have the appropriate PPE supplies on hand.
- Once the racers have crossed the finish line, wear a mask when physical distancing is not possible.
- Event crew will monitor the start/finish area to follow PHO guidelines that must be maintained.
- Podium steps will be placed to maintain 2m of distance.
- Medals are to be handed out by crew wearing face masks, or medals will be placed on a table and Racers must collect their own medals.
- The awards announcer will remain 2m from all athletes at all times during the awards ceremony.
- All medal winners will be required to wear masks during the ceremony when physical distancing is not possible.